Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Happy Tihar 2068

The year is 2068.

(They use Buddha for their calendar, not JC)

This week is the Nepalese festival of lights, Tihar, also called Diwali in India.

Each day celebrates a different creature - crow, cow, dog, bull, and brother - and all week every storefront is festooned with long strings of lights. As I write this, I can hear fireworks popping off nearby.

Here are a couple pictures to give you an idea of the festival: (1) The decorations at home; (2) The supermarket at night; (3) Jimi on Kukur Puja (Dog Day)

Life is normally pretty slow in Kathmandu and during Tihar it crawls, so I'm going to take a couple days off from the hospital. I'll be spending the rest of the week at Chitwan National Park, where I'll be riding elephants, canoeing with crocs, and searching for the elusive Bengal tiger. According to Wikipedia, Chitwan is quite safe - only 13 people have been eaten by tigers in the past 30 years.

We, the volunteers, only have one caretaker now. Many of my little sisters left today to join a group of doctors and dentists on a medical trek. Now it's just me, Annie (the Alaskan volunteering at an orphanage), Michelle (the American sportscaster from Abu Dhabi), Inder (the Canuck who works with me and has a fondness for "brewskies") and Will (the motivational speaker who has been to every continent - Antarctica twice).

I have to start packing for tomorrow; we leave dark and early for the seven hour bus ride.

Lesson learned: How to draw blood and open IVs, pretty useful ey?

No comments:

Post a Comment